Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Welcome to my garden!

This blog is meant to document my attempts to grow flowers, herbs and vegetables on my apartment balcony.  As an early 30-something who is a little bit of a hippie and a lot of a yuppie, the idea of growing my own produce and flowers to use in cooking and decorating appeals to me.  I've always watched Martha Stewart or Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa) stroll through their vast backyard gardens with a vague sense of lust.  I love the idea of running out to my yard to pick fresh herbs to finish a dish or to cut some flowers to decorate the table.  Unfortunately, I'm in a small-ish apartment in the far western suburbs of Chicago.  And instead of an expansive plot of land, I have a tiny shady shared balcony.  Still I'm attempting to start a garden. I have no idea how well it will go, but I'm excited to try!






What's growing now: Mid-April

Chives, Thyme and Parsley




Cubanelle Pepper

Black Cherry Tomato
Orange Mint

Strawberry

I got these plastic pots at Target.  I love how they add some color to the boring brown balcony.



No comments:

Post a Comment