Friday, April 20, 2012

Space Saving

Well, now that he's finished one building, he'll go write four books about it.
~Frank Lloyd Wright



I’m having a minor space problem on my balcony.  The problem is that I want to keep buying plants, but I only have so much space to put them.  Only the very front edge of the balcony gets any sun so all my herbs and vegetables have to stay there.  And I share it with my neighbors so they get half of the only sunny spot I can plant in.  And while they have commented that my plants look nice, I doubt they enjoy them enough to want to give up any of their space to feed my plant addiction!

However, I have come up with a solution to cram more plants into a small space.  And as a bonus, its super easy.  Can you guess what it is?

Before


After
Stacked planters!  So simple, I don’t know why I didn’t think of this earlier.  All I did was take 2 planters of different sizes, fill the bottom planter with dirt, and then stack the smaller one on top.

Here is a combo thyme, lavender and dill (another new garden addition) planter…


And this one looks empty, but it is actually planted with flower seeds that haven’t come up yet.


The really cool thing about this project is that it can be customized to match any décor or taste.  I kept it simple with the same planters I used everywhere else, but there are so many other possibilities.  You could keep it classic with basic terra cotta pots.  Or go modern with sleek black or dark gray square planters.  Or look for mismatched or vintage pots if you are into the shabby chic look. 

You can also customize the number of pots you use to work with whatever your needs are.  If you did 3 or more stacked pots, you could probably fit an entire herb garden in the space of one planter.  I wouldn’t use real terra cotta for that one though because it would get super heavy!

P.S. If you are looking for vintage stuff check out my friend Audrey at The Hepburn House.  She specialized in vintage items and 'found treasures'
http://hepburnhouseblog.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment