Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cinnamon Basil Sweet Tea

After I posted a few drink recipes a couple weeks ago, my friend who is expecting her first child in November asked if I would do some drink recipes that were alcohol free.  Of course I will!


This recipe uses cinnamon basil, but you could also make the simple syrup with lemon basil or mint.  Just keep everything else the same.


Cinnamon Basil Sweet Tea

Iced tea (made anyway you like)
2 tablespoons cinnamon basil syrup (recipe follows)
Ice

Place syrup in a tall glass and add ice and tea.  Stir to combine.

Cinnamon Basil Simple Syrup
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups water
5-6 large sprigs cinnamon basil
1 vanilla bean

Combine sugar, water and vanilla in a large pot over medium heat.  Cook until all the sugar dissolves and the syrup isn't cloudy anymore.  Remove from heat and add basil sprigs.  Let basil steep in the syrup for at least 30 min.  Strain and store in the fridge.

NOTE about herb varieties.  I've found it is really easy to find a lot of these more unusual herbs. I don't shop at fancy nurseries, just a regular Home Depot and I've seen lots of cool varieties there.  So don't be scared to grow something a little different than the standard types of herbs.  I'm loving experimenting with my cinnamon basil and orange mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment