Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Blender Soup

Last Christmas I received the Cuisinart Blend and Cook blender, but I had yet to make soup in it.  Last night I was in a soup mood so I decided to finally try it out.  I couldn't find the recipe booklet so I improvised with what I had on hand.  And voila...Spicy Tomato Soup!

Spicy Tomato Soup
This is a very tomato-y tasting soup.  It would be awesome with garden tomatoes, but all I had was canned. Still tasted great though.

Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil, a clove of garlic and about half a chopped onion to the blender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Turn the heat to medium and cook for 15 min or until the veggies are soft.

I have a terrible problem with crying when I chop onions.  Nothing I have ever tried to make it easier has worked so a couple years ago I gave up completely and started buying pre-chopped frozen onions.  So much easier!  You can put them in without thawing but be prepared for clouds of fog to start pouring out of your blender.



 After the onions and garlic have cooked, add one 28 oz can of crushed or diced tomatoes.  


Then add 1-2 tablespoons of chilpotle sauce.  This is what I always buy when a recipe calls for chilpotle in adobo.  I like that it is all smooth and I don't have to fish out and chop slimy, saucy hot peppers.  


Cook on medium for 30 min or until hot.  Use the stir button occasionally.

Once the soup is hot all the way through, add 1/2 cup of heavy cream.  Then cover the lid and blend the soup until it is the consistency you like.  I like it completely smooth.




This recipe makes about a quart of soup.  I'm going to freeze half for later.  I love a nice grilled cheese sandwich and bowl of tomato soup on the first day it snows.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment