Wednesday, May 2, 2012

New York!


New York, New York --
It's a hell of a town.
~On the Town

I just got back from a trip to New York City and I’m so inspired now by all the beautiful parks.  I love being able to see flowers blooming even in the middle of so much steel and concrete.  It’s also a good reminder to me that plants can thrive in all sorts of conditions.  A lot of the flowers I saw were blooming just feet away from busy streets.  I sometimes worry about my plants having the perfect growing conditions, but really they are incredibly resilient.  To quote the fictional Dr. Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park (one of my favorite movies) “If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, expands to new territories, and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, ah, well, there it is…I'm simply saying that life, uh... finds a way.”

So here are a few pictures of the parks I visited.  I'll start with the big one...Central Park!


Next up...Tompkins Square Park


And finally my favorite...the High Line.  These pictures don't really do it justice.  Its such a cool experience to see how this old rail line has been converted into the ultimate urban garden.





No comments:

Post a Comment