Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day!

I love all holidays so I couldn't resist getting into the spirit and dressing up a few of my planters with some cute patriotic pinwheels.




I also made this flag cake in honor of the holiday.



I've seen cakes like this in blogs and articles for a few years now, but they always seen to involve lots of cutting of cake and reassembling it.  I don't have those kinds of cake skills (or time) so I wanted to find an easier way.  My dad's favorite cake is checkerboard so I already had a set of checkerboard cake pans.  I made one solid red layer and one solid white layer.  Then I filled the outer ring of the checkerboard pan with blue cake batter and filled in the rest with red.  Then its easy...just bake, stack and frost.

My sister's dog seems to like it too.




Have a safe and happy Memorial Day everyone!

UPDATE: I've had some questions about what a checkerboard cake pan is...check it out here:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-9961

No comments:

Post a Comment