Saturday, June 2, 2012

Lemon Thyme Cornbread

One of my favorite foods is cornbread.  A little weird for someone in Illinois probably, but I've always loved it.  My mom used to make the Jiffy cornbread mix from the little blue and white box when I was a kid.  Now I like to play around with different flavor combinations.  Here is one inspired by the abundance of thyme growing in my garden.

Lemon Thyme Cornbread

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
3/4 powdered sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 1/4 buttermilk
2 tbsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
zest of one lemon
7 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl combine eggs, buttermilk, honey, thyme and lemon zest.  Pour liquid ingredients into dry and mix just enough to combine.  Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter and add to the batter.

Pour into greased pan.  I like to use a springform pan because it looks pretty, but you could also use a square baking dish or cast iron skillet.

Bake 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  While cornbread is still hot brush the top with the remaining tablespoon of butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment