Friday, October 19, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars

Now that it is officially Fall, I'm in full on "pumpkin flavored things" mode.  I love seasonal things and since Fall is my favorite anyway I'm all pumpkin, all the time.  I recently used some of the pumpkin puree I made with the pumpkins from the garden and baked these pumpkin oatmeal bars.  They were really good on their own and I suspect they would be even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars

1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
pinch ginger
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (homemade or canned)
1 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.

Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
These are rolled oats because I like the texture, but quick cooking oats would be fine too.

In another bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
I used dark brown sugar here because I like the flavor more, but light brown sugar works equally well if you prefer  it.


Add in egg, pumpkin and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in batches and mix until just combined.  

Stir in butterscotch chips.  If butterscotch chips aren't your thing, use about a cup of whatever you like.  Raisins, nuts, dried cranberries or chocolate chips would all be good here.

Spoon into baking dish and bake about 30 min until toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool and cut into bars.




No comments:

Post a Comment